25+ Modern Townhouse Design (With Guide On its Features)
The townhouse’s first impression is normally too small, too compact, too narrower, and the list is endless. Well, let us tell you one thing these are the words that perfectly described the old townhouse designs. While now, you might use words like versatile, modern, and spacious. Why is it so? The reason is the structural design change in the townhouse construction.
There are several examples of modern townhouse design that will make you go ‘WOW,’ all you have to do is read this article to the end. We can understand the hesitation of deciding whether to go for townhouse design or not, despite it being in the trend. Before we move ahead, it is necessary to know the basics of townhouse design.
The very is first is its definition:
What is Townhouse Style (design)?
The answer to this question is pretty simple: the townhouse or townhome is a place that is specifically designed for single-family. These houses share one or more walls with another home owned by someone else.
The concept of a townhouse design is to have a living space for a family with safety and privacy. When you move into a townhouse or get it built, the property, home, its exterior, interior, and everything else belongs to you only.
Also, modern townhouse design includes a lawn, balcony, bedrooms, living room, and much more. The townhouse is taller and can be a single as well as a double-storied unit.
Understood the townhouse concept? Now let’s move forward towards its characteristics or features:
Features of Townhouse:
- The average width of an ideal townhouse is around 18-20 feet—any house more than 25 feet is considered a mansion.
- The average square foot of the townhouse is somewhere between 750 sq. ft. to 2000 sq. ft. It depends on the constructor what width a townhouse will be; it can be more than 2000 sq. ft. also.
- The location is away from the tall buildings, commercial avenues, and playgrounds.
- It has a functional division of the floors, be it ground, first, or second.
- You can get a basement with proper lighting and ventilation.
- You can add floors for different purposes. Like the ground floor for the kitchen, living area, and a storage room, while the second floor is for bedrooms and entertainment space.
- The elevated unit – you will see many townhouses has at least three to four stair at the entrance. Honestly, we think this is the best idea to avoid water blockage and other problems.
- It can also feature a lawn or a garden to add a beautifying effect to its simplicity.
Advantages of Living in a Townhouse Property:
- When you decide to shift to a townhouse community the very first benefit is the low maintenance cost. What else do you need?
- Another benefit is its location. You will be living in a community with a great neighborhood and ultimate safety. You can always seek help from the family next door.
- You will have plenty of amenities included in the HOA. Many townhouse communities have their own gyming area, clubhouse, and swimming pool built for the members (whose is included in HOA or the maintenance fee).
- You will have space for the outdoor run, exercise, or gaming session.
- The most significant advantage of townhouse design is you will be away from noise pollution, in short, the quieter place to live.
- As for cost, it is much more economical than a house but a better investment than an apartment.
Disadvantages of Living in a Townhouse Property:
We won’t fool you with pros only, so here are the cons of living in a townhouse style. You should know everything about living in a townhouse property, be it positive or negative. Let’s go!
- Living in an area where two units share at least one common wall, you can’t expect to have full privacy. There will be private but not equal to the apartment.
- You might face financing issues while looking for a townhouse. However, it can be avoided by finding or hiring an experienced person in that area.
- There will be limited freedom on what changes you can make to your house. Though, it won’t be a problem because most of the townhouse designs are versatile enough to make you fall in love with them at a single glance. (Refer to the Modern Townhouse Design Ideas section.)
- The last point is about the resale value. You may not get the resale value at par for townhouses. So in the future, rather than selling, you can rent it out. It will create a side income flow for you.
Cost of Townhouse Design
As for cost, it depends whether you are building a townhouse or buying one. We have mentioned the costing of both in this section. (Remember this is the average pricing of the US, it can defer from area to area.)
Average Cost of building a single townhouse unit (excluding interiors): $166,500 – $187,500
Average Cost of buying a townhouse unit:
- Traditional Style Townhouse: $111 – $125/sq.ft.
- Stacked Townhouse: $120 – $130/sq.ft.
- Urban Townhouse Design: $135 – $150/sq.ft.
When you go for a modular townhouse whose construction is done off-site with a controlled environment, it will cost you $103/sq.ft.
Modern Townhouse Design Ideas
Here in this section, you will find inspiration and ideas on modern townhouse design. Without much thinking, go through the design ideas. We are sure it will surely convince you to move forward with the decision.
You read about almost everything related to the townhouse. We hope the ideas section was like a cherry on the cake, it might have convinced you to take the last step forward regarding the townhouse design decision.
If you are looking for a pocket-friendly house and in a community where you can spend time with your neighbors, a townhouse is a correct option. For more information on the designing side of any architecture around the world, visit ArchitecturesStyle.
Organic House by Javier Senosiain: Showcasing Humility in Its Purest Aesthetic Forms
Project Credits: Project name: Organic House Architecture firm: Javier Senosiain Location: Acueducto Morelia 26, Vista del Valle, 53296, Naucalpan de…
Top 11+ Cool & Creative Sims 4 House Ideas of 2021
Apart from Minecraft and Terraria, another game that is popular for building structures is Sims 4. People can create various…
TECLA: A Clay 3D Printed House in Italy By Mario Cucinella Architect
You may have seen 3D printed small models of various architectures but have you ever seen a real Clay 3D…
Condo Vs Apartment: Which One Should You Go For? (Full Guide)
Buying or renting a house is one of the biggest confusions in the world for people. We often get caught…
Crescent – The Iconic Mosque in Dubai by Design Plus Architects & Rat[LAB] Studio!
The Iconic Mosque Source: amazingarchitecture.com Project name: Crescent – The Iconic Mosque, Dubai Location: Dubai Creek Harbour, Dubai, United Arab…
Chapel of The Holy Cross: A Church With an Idiosyncratic Structure
Chapel of The Holy Cross Source: staticflickr.com Location: Sedona, Arizona, United States Architect: Marguerite Brunswig Staude Completed: 1957 Situated in…
Cool Minecraft House Ideas – 9 Brilliant Inspirations to Build Your Dream Home
Do you have an interest in architecture and like to explore various building structures? If yes, then you might have…
Cadillac House by Gensler: A Structure with a Bizarre Angled Steel Facade!
Cadillac House Source: archpaper.com Location: Jin Qiao, Pu Dong, Shanghai, China Architect: Gensler Type: Commercial Status: Built Year: 2019 Size:…
Wintrust Arena, Chicago: Get an Overview of This Amazing Structure
The Wintrust Arena is a multi-purpose event space famous for hosting wonderful basketball matches. Not only basketball matches but it…
Striatus Bridge by Zaha Hadid Architects + Block Research Group: A Unreinforced, 3D Printed Concrete Design
Exhibited at the Giardini Della Marinaressa, Italy, is a 3D printed arched bridge whose method of construction is the first…
Why Do People Love Home Decor and Use It in Their Houses?
The interior of the house or apartment creates a special atmosphere of home comfort, which pleases not only the owners…